- 1. Do you have references?
Yes. We will happily provide you with a list of references from customers that have built their home with us.
- 2. Where can I find a particular home model that I’m interested in visiting?
Click on our Find A Home page and see all of our homes for sale.
- 3. What are your open House hours and how do I get directions?
You can find a current list of open house hours by looking in the news section of the web site or by contacting one of our listing agents.
- 4. Where can I get literature?
Literature is available for printing. Floor plans can be viewed and printed from our Floor plan area of the Web Site. If you would like literature to be mailed to you, please complete the Contact us request form.
- 5. What is the cost of a specific home?
Because of the many variables in building a home it is difficult to provide specific pricing here on our website. Factors such as building codes and site preparation vary from site to site. In addition, each home owner has their own unique list of features and options that they want in their new home. For these reasons pricing is only available through Destiny Homes and the listing agents.
- 6. Will I have a wide range of home styles to choose from?
Yes! Destiny Homes offers ranch, story and 1/2 and 2 story floor plan designs in a variety of styles. We are flexible with our standard plans and are open to making adjustments that fit each buyer’s needs. We will also work with you to design your own custom plan.
- 7. What distinguishes Destiny Homes from other builders?
The superior quality products and craftsmanship that create value in your home. We use products and subcontractors that consistently provide the best craftsmanship at the best price.
Destiny Homes offers you 2 x 6 construction which allows your home to meet and exceed the efficiency standards of Energy Star plus 5.
Another thing is your ability to customize. We do not limit structural options. You also have the ability to select your carpet, flooring, tile, and etc. We have a designer available to work with you to coordinate your choices. We will work with you to help develop any type of design idea you may have.
Our priority is your satisfaction, so much so that we have many repeat clients and family and friends of previous clients referred to us.
- 1. How can I finance my new home?
There are many methods to financing your new home. Your agent or a Destiny Representative can walk you through many options for your new home financing.
Whether it is a construction loan, a conventional loan, or any other product we can put you in touch with multiple resources.
- 2. What is a Construction Loan?
A construction loan can be used to fund the building of your new home. Draws from the loan are based on the progress of your home and are approved by you and the lendor prior to payment. After the home is complete the construction loan is paid off by your mortgage.
- 3. When does the construction loan term begin?
Typical Construction Loans have a 12 month term which begins on the date the borrower signs the loan documents. Destiny Homes builds homes from 60-90 days. This limits the expense of the loan.
- 4. How do you know where to wire the funds?
Destiny Homes will assist you with this. The final documents will be prepared and in most instances the funds are released in a bank draft. All account information can be sent directly to your bank if electronic fund transferring is requested.
- 1. Can I make changes to my home while under construction?
Destiny Homes takes pride in building quality, well-appointed homes with pleasing design features at affordable prices. We are enabled to do so by working with select tradesmen and suppliers who are prepared to construct each home consistently in accordance with our predetermined contracting and direction. We request that modifications to these plans are completed prior to the beginning of the construction. We pride ourselves on having an efficient and streamlined process that lowers building costs, which in turn results in a lower home price and better value for you. Having all of the decisions prior to building is an important element in meeting this expectation.
Changes once construction ensues can be completed through the home design team and may require a change fee plus the cost the changes incurred.
Change orders are strongly discouraged but if one is requested, we will take it in to consideration. Our process and timing is such that the majority of all selections are made prior to starting your home. If a change is requested, depending on the construction phase, there could be a delay in your home’s schedule or closing. If your change order is accepted, a change order fee of $250 may be charged along with the cost of the actual change.
- 2. What can I expect at my Destiny Homes Design appointment?
- Your designer will assist you with modifying the floor plan and personal selections for your new home. She will explain and finalize the included and optional upgrade features of your new home, detail the building schedule, milestone dates for final selections and disclosures, and supply the construction team with your selections so they can deliver your home on schedule.
We will walk through the blueprint floor by floor and room by room. The designer will inform you about the standard in each of the spaces and upgrades. After the structure is reviewed you will have the opportunity to select items from the below areas and much more:
- – Cabinets (e.g. Birch, Oak, Maple, or Cherry)
- – Countertops (laminate, Granite, Corian®, or etc.)
- – Flooring (e.g. carpet, tile, hardwood, or laminate)
- – Appliances
- – Fireplace Surrounds (i.e. tile)
- – Lighting
- – Plumbing Accessories (e.g. faucets, and sinks)
- – Trim/Doors
Your appointment will take approximatly 2 1/2 hours, depending on the options and upgrades available for your floor plan.
Buyers go through the Design process at different speeds but for planning purposes we use the following guidelines:
- Plans and Specs – A thorough review of your blueprint, including any structural and electrical changes will be done first. This process takes approximately 2 hours. If you have gone through a similar home, this process will take less time. These changes to the plan will be sent to our architect for a re-draw. The re-drawn blue print will be reviewed at your next meeting. You are allowed 2 redraws of your print. Additional or major redraws may result in an architectural fee of $85.00 per hour.
- Selections Process – We try to complete all selections in a 2 hour period of time. If you have the opportunity to walk through some of our finished homes to get an idea of what you like in cabinets, countertops and flooring, this will make you feel more comfortable with your decisions. These 3 selections are the heart of your home and the additional selections that we make throughout this process will just flow!
In additional to the items above, your design consultant will cover topics such as construction phase timing, down payment and additional vendors that you may want to make appointments with for items such as appliances or lighting.
- 3. Can we purchase our appliances, flooring, cabinets, etc elsewhere?
You would need to address this question with your designer. Your home is on a very tight schedule and we will need items for your home at a very specific time in the process. It would require a coordinated effort between you and Destiny Homes for shipping and installation of the special items at the job site.
We have established relationships and time frames with our contractors and vendors that allow us to construct your new home in a very efficient manner. With that being said, you can discuss your request in further detail at your first meeting. If any items are allowed to be provided by you, you will be told when these have to be at the house for installation as well as if the item is defective, you will need to provide a replacement in a time frame to not delay the construction process. Destiny Homes and its contractors will not warranty these items that are provided by the buyer for installation.
- 4. Where can I find construction material to match my completed Destiny Home?
You can contact the Destiny Homes office and someone will be able to give you information as to the specific names or model #’s of items that were including in your home as well as who you can contact to get coordinating items.
- 5. Will Destiny Homes design other plans?
Yes, we will. Modifications to our base plans are most economical to build. Our draftsmen know exactly where things work best and don’t waste any space in our homes. We would be happy to look at plans you are interested in.
The base Destiny Homes’ plans can be modified as well as having a custom plan drawn up. These options and pricing associated can be discussed in more detail as you begin your decision to build with Destiny Homes.
- 6. How does your drafting work?
We contract with full time draftsmen who draw and modify plans on a CAD (computer aided drafting) system. This allows us to work closely with you to design a custom built home to meet your needs. You may already have a plan you would like to build or you may have walked through a home that you are interested in building. Our draftsmen, along with Our Designer, will work with you to make any modifications to the plan while keeping construction cost in mind. Our draftsmen can also design a plan from scratch to meet your specifications.
- 7. What kind of windows does Destiny Homes use?
We use Windsor Vinyl windows as our standard. In a built to order home we will be happy to use your choice of window as long as they meet the energy efficiency required by Energy Star.
- 8. Who is the appliance manufacturer?
We use Whirlpool appliances in the market homes. In a built to order home we will be happy to use the appliances of your choice.
Whirlpool appliances are standard for Destiny Homes. You will be given an option to re-select or upgrade from this standard during your selections meeting with your design.
- 1. When will I have a “walk thru” of my new home?
You will have two walk-throughs in the process. Just prior to insulation and drywall you will be contacted by a member of the Customer Care Team and an appointment will be set to tour your home. We think it is important for you to view the inside of your home before everything gets covered with insulation and/or drywall. We encourage taking pictures so you know where ductwork and plumbing components are located to avoid a catastrophe in the future.
The second walk-through is approximately three to four business days prior to your closing date and once again a member of the Customer Care Team will coordinate and conduct your New Home Orientation Tour.
- 2. May I have my home inspected while it’s under construction?
Yes. Your Designer will assist you in coordinating your inspector’s visit with our construction team. In the process there are independent inspections that are completed by the city and state.
- 3. What is the time frame for completion once I’ve completed the selections for my Destiny Home?
There are a number of variables to consider, including permitting, weather, material availability, inspections and, of course, loan processing, to name just a few. Generally, most people building a new home today are able to move in within 60 to 90 days from the date that all of the selections are complete.
- 4. How can my company join the Destiny Homes vendor team?
To join our vendor team, send an email to us by using the contact us form.
- 5. Is it okay to visit my home while it’s under construction?
Due to construction hazards, the safest bet is to wait until a scheduled site visit. At that time, a trained construction team member can walk you through your home and answer any questions in the process.
- 6. What are the steps in building a Destiny home?
To learn more about the construction of your Destiny Home, explore the steps in The Construction Process.
- 7. Can you build on an existing foundation?
In general yes. However, there are situations when an existing foundation is not suitable. To determine if it is possible to build on your site you need to contact us and we will inspect the foundation.
- 8. Will Destiny Homes build anywhere?
We will build anywhere in the state of Iowa.
- 9. How do the materials used in a Destiny Home compare to the products used in other builders’ homes?
Again, it goes back to the type of products we use as standard items in our homes. Often times when people are comparing home costs per square foot, they are not comparing apples to apples. Destiny Homes feature Windsor Windows, 95% high efficiency furnaces, 14 SEER Air Conditioners, R42 attic insulation and R19 wall insulation and quality appliances. These are optional items in many other homes. However, these items will save you time, energy and money in reduced maintenance costs.
We talked about our standards and I will provide you with a Standards sheet. But I don’t think we list that here. Because do we really know what are in other builder’s homes.
- 1. How do I submit a warranty service request?
Our homeowners that closed prior to December 1, 2017 will use the warranty submission form located on our website. Homeowners who closed after this date will submit their warranty needs through the warranty portal using their private login credentials provided at the Warranty Workshop.
2. Is the warranty transferable when the home is sold?
Our warranty is automatically transferred to subsequent Owners during the ten-year term of the Limited Warranty, except in cases of foreclosure.
- 3. What kind of warranty program do you provide?
We provide a one year home warranty which is administered by Destiny Homes and a 10 year structural warranty through the Residential Warranty Company (RWC).
We provide a limited one-year basic and limited two-year mechanical warranty administered by Destiny Homes, and a limited ten-year structural warranty administered by Destiny Homes in years one and two and the insurer is the Warrantor in years 3 through ten.
4. How’s does Destiny Homes prepare me for home ownership?
Homebuilding is an ever-changing industry and to ensure that our homeowners get the most enjoyment out of their Destiny home we invite them to attend a warranty workshop prior to closing. Here, we touch on changes in the materials and workmanship that make up their new home along with tips on what to expect and how to better maintain their home. Attendance allows us to fully activate the warranty coverage on your home. We also make the communication link and demonstrate how to report any service needs by way of our web based warranty portal.
- 1. When should I schedule my movers?
Destiny Homes will provide you with an estimated date of closing and occupancy of your new home throughout the process. The firm close date will be set 30 days prior to close. Usually, it’s best to wait until the firm date to set a tentative date with movers or trucking companies.
When do I get possession of my home?
Approximately 2 weeks after your pre-drywall walk (See Construction Process FAQ’s for more information on this), you will be given a proposed closing date. This is the date that you could expect to close on your new home with your lender and you can schedule items to be moved in to the home after the actual closing has occurred.
2. When can I start moving my possessions in to my new home?
At the closing of your new home you will be given a set of keys which allows immediate access to move any and all items into your new home.